Location: South Africa
Salary: R294 321 – R343 815 PER ANNUM
Job Type: Full Time
Company Name: The Office of the Chief Justice
The Office of the Chief Justice invites suitably qualified applicants to apply for their Judge’s Secretary Vacancies (X6 Posts). The closing date for applications is the 20th October 2023
POST 36/13: JUDGE’S SECRETARY (X2 POSTS)
POST 36/14: JUDGE’S SECRETARY (X1 POSTS)
POST 36/15: JUDGE’S SECRETARY (X3 POSTS)
- Mpumalanga Division of The High Court: Mbombela Ref No: 2023/339/OCJ
- Mpumalanga Division of The High Court: Middelburg Ref No: 2023/340/OCJ
- Limpopo Division of The High Court: Polokwane Ref No: 2023/341/OCJ
- Western Cape Division of The High Court: Cape Town Ref No: 2023/342/OCJ (X3 POSTS)
- Matric certificate. One (1) to three (3) years’ secretarial experience or as an office assistant in a legal environment.
- A valid driver’s license.
- An LLB degree or a minimum of 20 modules completed towards an LLB, BA/BCom Law degree will serve as an added advantage and results must accompany the application.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to pass a typing test.
Skills and Competencies:
- Proficiency in English.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- Administration and organizational skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and to work under pressure.
- Attention to detail.
- Customer service skills and excellent typing skills including Dictaphone typing.
- Confidentiality and time management.
- Computer literacy (MS Word) and research capabilities.
- Typing (or formatting) of draft memorandum decisions, opinions or Judgment entries written by or assigned by the judge.
- Provide general secretarial/administrative duties to the judge.
- Manage and type correspondence, judgments and orders for the judge (including Dictaphone typing).
- Arrange and diarize appointments, meetings and official visits and make travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Safeguarding of all case files and the endorsement of case files with an order made by the judge.
- Update files and documents and provide copies of documents to the Registrar.
- Perform 76 digital recording of court proceedings on urgent court applications (after hours) and circuit court, and ensure integrity of such recordings.
- Store, keep and file court records safely.
- After a case has been completed and the opinion, decision or judgment entry released, return case file to the Registrar.
- Accompany the judge to the court and circuit courts.
- Cooperate with judges, supervisors and co-workers as necessary to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the court.
- Management of the judge’s vehicle, logbook and driving thereof.
- Compile data and prepare reports and documents for assigned judges as necessary including expense reports, continuing legal hours, financial disclosure statements and case management.
- Arrange reception for the Judge and his/her visitors and attend to their needs.
- Management of the Judge’s library and updating of loose-leaf publications.
- Execute legal research as directed by the Judge and comply with Departmental prescripts, policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Technical enquiries: Ms HC Venter Tel No: (013) 758 0000
- HR related enquiries: Mr V Maeko Tel No: (013) 758 0000
- HR Enquiries: Ms. N.P Phadziri/ Ms. E.M Ramaphakela Tel No: (015) 495 1743/1744
- Technical enquiries: Ms. M.M.G Phaswane Tel No: (015) 495 1812
- Technical Related Enquiries: Ms. ZS Pienaar Tel No: (021) 469 4048/4003
- HR Related Enquiries: Ms. M Baker Tel No: (021) 469 4038
APPLICATIONS: Applications with a clearly marked reference must be delivered directly to:
- Mpumalanga Division of the High Court Middleburg/Mbombela: Quoting the relevant reference number, direct your application to: The Provincial Head: Office of the Chief Justice, Private Bag X 20051, Mbombela 1211. Applications can also be hand delivered to, Mpumalanga Division of the High Court, Office of the Chief Justice Provincial Service Centre, 311 Samora Machel Drive, Mbombela, 1200.
- Limpopo Division of the High Court: Polokwane: Quoting the relevant reference number, direct your application to: Provincial Head, Office of the Chief Justice Service Centre, Limpopo, Private Bag X9693, Polokwane, 0700. Applications can also be hand delivered to the High Court of South Africa: Limpopo Division, Polokwane, 36 Biccard & Bodenstein Street, Polokwane, 0699.
- Western Cape: Quoting the relevant reference number, direct your application to: The Provincial Head, Office of the Chief Justice, Private Bag X14, Vlaeberg, 8018. Applications can also be hand delivered to 30 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town.
Applicants are not required to submit copies of qualifications and other relevant documents on application but must submit the signed New Form Z83 CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE EDITABLE FORM and should be accompanied by a recent comprehensive CV only; contactable referees (telephone numbers and email addresses must be indicated).
Only shortlisted candidates will be required to submit certified copies of qualifications and other related documents on or before the day of the interview following communication from Human Resources. Each application form must be fully completed, duly signed and initialled by the applicant. The application must indicate the correct job title, the office where the position is advertised and the reference number as stated in the advert.